Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Text Analysis For Religious Blogs

Reserving for a moment comments about the impression that religious blogs are in general more prone to grammatical errors than atheist blogs - I've noticed some other patterns. For example, religious blogs tend to use exclamation points much more. There also seems to be a cadence to the sentences that I can't quite put my finger on, similar to the stilted releases of government propaganda agencies. It's like the meter in a Meshuggah song: you know there's a pattern there, you just can't put your finger on what it is.

Anyway, if you know scripting language or one of those web thingies, is there a text-pattern-analysis utility out there? I'd like to point it at atheist and theist websites and see if it can pull out the differences in prose style. Might be fun for what it reveals about the underlying cognition producing the prose.

2 comments:

Norm Nason said...

Michael, I run a website called Machines Like Us (machineslikeus.com)--which you might be interested in. If after looking over the site you think it worthy, is it possible that you would add it to your blogroll? Thanks in advance.

Michael Caton said...

Hi Norm,

Great site - probably a better fit on my own evolution and cognition page, where I've added it:

http://cognitionandevolution.blogspot.com/

Great minds think alike I guess. :)