Sunday, February 1, 2009

The Elephant on the Field: God in Sports Finally Addressed

PZ Myers already posted this article critical of public religion in professional American football (well-timed on Superbowl weekend). PZ gets a few more readers than me, but I want to emphasize another point here about why I love this article, I love it I love it I love it. Why? We have enough arguments against a deity invoking Evolution and Reason and things that, when your average American guy or gal get home from the plant or the office, they really don't care much about. They want a beer or a glass of wine and to make dinner without having to yell at the kids too much about doing their homework, and then maybe a nice hour or two online or watching their favorite show.

So when these types of sentiments start showing up, in the mainstream press, in sports media - about as red-meat apple-pie as you can get in the U.S. - we're onto something. Hats off to you John Walters and Gregg Doyel at CBS and Mark Kriegel at FOX. These articles are really worth clicking through to.

1 comment:

Dan said...

I would totally watch WitchBall.