Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Pile on Rick Warren

Old Rick seems to have discovered the wonders of modernity in recent days - for example, the accountability for one's words that the internet helps enforce. One of his comments in an interview with Hugh Hewitt:

Paul Vitz, who is an author with New York University, wrote a very fascinating book called Faith Of The Fathers, in which he went and studied the 72 most well-known atheists in history, the Bertrand Russells, the Voltaires, the Freuds, and the only thing he could find in common with every one of them is they all hated their dads. Every one of them. They had distant dad, demeaning dad, a dead dad, they had no relationships with their fathers.


Guess where this is going? Sorry, Rick: I had a great relationship with my dad, and though I'm sorry to say I lost him when I was only 22, I think about him every single day. I'll grant that I'm not as well-known as Russell or Freud (not yet :) but does that make a difference?

But hey, maybe I'm the exception. What's everyone else's family life like? I don't know a lot of dad-hating atheists out there, now that I think about it. I'd love to see a survey of parental relationships and religious attitudes.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I LOVE my father. I cannot imagine my life without him. Sorry, I do not see this panning out.

I think that most of those people also have one common factor: intelligence.

Dan said...

I'd be hard pressed to call Luke Skywalker an atheist...