Tuesday, July 28, 2009

If John Travolta Leaves Scientology - Let's Support Him

When Ted Haggard had his fall from grace, the temptation in the atheist blogosphere to be snarky was too strong for many. Can you imagine what a powerful statement it would have been for Haggard to stand up and say, "I'm sorry for what I did before. I was leading people into a life of lies. I'm a proud gay man and I have a better life now that I can be honest." Less than likely, but I still think it's important to know that when people leave their old community, there's a new one there to support them.

There have been rumors today (quickly squashed by usual PR machinery) that the death of John Travolta's son has led him to question his involvement in the Church of Scientology. If so - welcome, John. We were sorry to hear about your son, but you're among real friends now.

No comments: