Thursday, October 22, 2009

California's Own Creationism "Museum"

It was only a matter of time. I couldn't resist. Today I finally swung by the Creation and Earth History Museum, in Santee, California. I knew it would be closed but I wanted to bask in teh crazy (Oklahoma doesn't get it all).

First question: any SoCal atheists interested in a mass visit much like Ken Ham's roadside attraction experienced this summer? I realize there are argument for and against, but come on - it seemed like they had a lot of fun.

Observation: the "museum" is in an office-park area, and in fact shares its building with Scantibodies. I thought to myself, I wonder how a biotech/diagnostics company (guessing from the name) feels about sharing its building with these guys? They feel just fine, as it turns out. Scantibodies owner Tom Cantor is the one who gives the space to the museum; apparently he's close with Ken Ham.

I wonder why Cantor doesn't advertise that he's afiliated with a creationism museum? I wonder what the impact would be on his business if this were better known?

3 comments:

James said...

I visited the "museum" with a bunch of UCSD science grads (including our Rational Thought leader) a few years ago when it was still owned by the ICR. From the pictures on the website, it looks exactly the same. It might make for an interesting Rational Thought @UCSD field trip!

TGP said...

Check the second to last page of the history pdf.

http://www.scantibodies.com/PDF/history_brochure.pdf

Also note that their pregnancy test kits help 'couples' detect pregnancy as opposed to helping women detect pregnancy.

Michael Caton said...

I checked the brochure - not exactly shouted to the heavens (har har). The esteemed president of the UCSD Rationalist Club told me that ICR thrives on confrontation, so he wanted nothing to do with them. It still might be different if it was intended as a lark rather than as a debate (which seems to have been the case for Hemant and PZ et al in Kentucky). I'm sure there's a bar in Santee where we can knock down a few afterward.