Wednesday, January 20, 2010

The Homeopathic Drinking Tour: 29 January 2010

So in the UK they've begun the 1023 campaign, which will result in a mass homeopathic overdose at 10:20 a.m. on Saturday, 30 January. Basically, they're buying a bunch of herbal supplements (also known as bottled grass clippings) and intentionally "overdosing" on them. Of course nothing will happen, which is the point.

I would like to join our brothers and sisters in rationalism across the pond but the English are already over-represented in the world of skepticism and rationality already, and enough of that. So as a red-blooded patriotic American skeptic, I propose an almost-simultaneous event. You might notice an interesting confluence of facts: that a) 10:20 Greenwich is 2:20 a.m. California time b) the bars in California and most of the U.S. close at 2 a.m. and c) there have been far too few skeptics' drinking events.

Consequently, I would like to invite my fellow skeptics and rationalists to "Last Call Recreational Homeopathy". I will be discussing further at the UCSD Rational Thought meeting coming up, where I'd like suggestions on where we should go, but anyone in Southern California is welcome. Once it's decided I'll post the time and place on here. Of course, in celebration of California's rock and roll lifestyle I will be popping herbal supplements one after the other and (get ready) washing them down with alcohol. One shudders to think fo te intractkons! Sorry for the typos, I was shuddering.

Oddly, there is little discussion of herbal supplements in medical school. Of course that's proof that a) doctors hate their patients or b) we're all idiots and easily tricked by Shadowy Corporations. As opposed being tricked by wealthy and influential herbal supplements industry - and their lobbyists - that obviously must have our best interests at heart.

2 comments:

Debbie said...

This is so, so, so, so, FUNNY! What a clever idea. I'd love to OD with you...

TGP said...

Mikey,
Be careful with those herbal supplements. You wouldn't want to pop too many if the clippings come from a chemically treated lawn.

Have a drop of beer in a pitcher of water for me!