Monday, May 3, 2010

Pew Forum: Half of Secular Adults Were Raised Religious

Find the survey results here. Key finding from the summary: "The survey finds that the number of people who say they are unaffiliated with any particular faith today (16.1%) is more than double the number who say they were not affiliated with any particular religion as children. Among Americans ages 18-29, one-in-four say they are not currently affiliated with any particular religion." So: a) over the course of their lives enough people are leaving theism that they're doubling the number of children being raised secular (the key observation in the title of the post), and b) the young demographic (which is the one you want most!) is doing this even more than the rest. This is great news, but we can do even better.

To that end, as I have been promising, I'm currently working on another survey, intended to show us how people leave so that we can identify the most effective triggers. It'll be on surveymonkey and I'll publish it here when it's ready for prime time. We need data!

2 comments:

TGP said...

I stopped being a Catholic before it was cool to quit.

Why go to church when "Thundarr The Barbarian" is broadcast on Sunday morning?

Michael Caton said...

I never had the opportunity to quit. But apparently there are more than a few Lutheran ministers who are overt atheists (there was one in State College in the 90s). Maybe it's time for me to return to, well not my roots, but my parents', so I can get free money.