Monday, December 27, 2010

What Kind of Person Needs Religion In Order To Be Good?

Normally the question is asked the other way: how can you be good if you're not religious? But I think it's at least as important to ask what's wrong with someone who needs divine threats to be kind to his neighbor. These are questions that we atheists are used to hearing and they're still not discussed enough. Julian Sanchez has written a post on this where every sentence is a gem. To quote it other than in its entirely would be pointless, so I strongly suggest that you go read it.

3 comments:

TGP said...

If it wasn't for religion, I'd have seen every episode of _Thundarr The Barbarian_ on Sunday mornings as a kid.

The Roman Catholic Church kept me from running around with a fabulous sun-sword in a world of sorcery and super-science with a scantily clad sorceress and a hairy Mok.

Michael Caton said...

Sir: I strongly urge you to reconsider your simultaneous use of the words "fabulous" and "scantily" in this and all future comments.

TGP said...

Reconsidering....

The Fabulous Catholic Church kept me from running around with a sun-sword in a world of sorcery and super-science with a hairy Roman sorceress and a scantily clad Mok.

You can have my diction when you pry it from my cold, dead hands.