Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Do You Smoke?

Periodically it's worth pointing out that there are self-described rationalists and skeptics who smoke. Need I point out that Hitchens was one of them?

If you don't smoke, then look for the rationalists who do, and think about this, even for purely selfish reasons: they're subtracting rationalist person-years out of civilization. It's in your and my interest to get them to quit.

If you do smoke, you don't need me to tell you it's bad for you. So go to friends and family, and tell them you're quitting, and give them tools to seriously hold you accountable. As in, money in escrow - seriously - lots of it, so it hurts bad if you slip. It helps to have a reward too.

Here's more information on how to quit. And here's some more motivation.



A smoker's lungs. Okay, no I can't tell you whether it really is, but the smokers' lungs I've seen with my own eyes were just about that bad.

2 comments:

vjack said...

I quit during college. That was quite a few years ago, and I still experience cravings every once in awhile but haven't given in to them. The one thing worth pointing out is that it takes most smokers multiple attempts before they are successful quitting.

Michael Caton said...

It's incredibly rare to quit once and stay quit. Congratulations on staying with it!