Saturday, September 8, 2012

Critical Thinking Observed in the Wild

True story. This morning I'm at the Subway shop on the U.S. Naval hospital base in San Diego. I order my usual veggie sub with everything but spinach, "because spinach is a tool of the devil" as I tell the sandwich girl to amuse myself. (I'm weird that way.)

And then without missing a beat the sandwich girl says to me, "Are you going to make an argument to back up that assertion? Otherwise your statement has no truth value."

WTF!?!?1111!!1!! (in a good way)

My eyebrows just about rose off my head, bested only by a smile that split my face ear to ear. "I love it!" I said. "First, we would have to agree on the existence of the entities in that sentence, which since I said it in jest, I don't," I said. In further conversation she offered that she's taking a philosophy course in critical thinking at San Diego City College and really enjoying it, and trying to apply it to every day life. Outstanding! Excellent! I referred her to San Diego Skeptics in the Pub as a gateway drug and wrote it down so she could tell her whole class about it.

Explicit critical thinking in the wild, randomly at Subway. Today was a good day.

3 comments:

Artor said...

Damn- I wish I could get some scepticism on my Subways around here. It sounds like it added to the flavor immensely.

Artor said...

Damn- I wish I could get some scepticism on my Subways around here. It sounds like it added to the flavor immensely.

Michael Caton said...

THe sandwich was indeed tasty, but that may have just been the conversation that added a special glow.